What’s your Agenda? the stirrer is running a series throughout this election, highlighting the issues affecting G.A.Y.* people urgently needing attention. The Victorian and NSW Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobbies have issued a joint statement outlining their agenda for the election:the full statement is at the link above, the key points are listed below.
- Reduce violence and harassment against LGBTI students
- Ensure young LGBTI people feel safe at school.
- Human Rights Commissioner with specific responsibility for LGBTI
- Party spokesperson on issues relating to the LGBTI equality,
- Whole-of-government LGBTI Ministerial Advisory Group.
Equality and non-discrimination
- Remove certain exemptions from anti-discrimination laws, including provisions affecting trans and intersex sportspeople.
Health and ageing
- Ongoing funding for the national LGBTI telephone support helpline, Q-Life.
- A national, co-ordinated approach is needed to address the heath needs of LGBTI Australians, particularly the needs of older LGBTI people
Relationship recognition and marriage equality
- No public vote on marriage equality
- Hold a vote of the Parliament.
*G.A.Y. = the acronym formerly known as LGBTI2QQAA+